Thursday, September 08, 2005

Mexico sends first ever aid convoy to U.S. - Hurricane Katrina - MSNBC.com

Mexico sends first ever aid convoy to U.S. - Hurricane Katrina - MSNBC.com: "Radio talk shows and newspapers in Mexico buzzed with excitement over news that this country, long on the receiving end of U.S. disaster relief, was sending a hurricane aid convoy north."

I've felt bad about how seemingly ungracious the U.S.'s responses to offers of foreign aid have been, so I enjoyed reading this story. I felt good for Mexico. It is healthy for countries to help each other as needed, instead of one always being the recipient.

This analogy coming up is not intended to extrapolate to the political relationship between the U.S. and Mexico, but only to describe the psychological dynamic of Mexico giving us assistance: it reminds me of when I was old enough and financially settled enough that my parents finally accepted help from me. That they let me help them, after a lifetime of the reverse, was the ultimate validation.

I hope we make the Mexican troops welcome and feel appreciated and needed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home