Saturday, September 30, 2006

The young Bob Shane - a shock

I'm watching The Kingston Trio Story: Wherever We May Go" on our local PBS station. It's an excellent documentary, but I had quite a shock watching the films of the early trio performing. The young Bob Shane looks just like the young George W. Bush.

Damn, that's disturbing.

I grew up on the Kingston Trio's music, from the cradle on. My parents, when they were newly married, could only afford a single record album, and that's who they bought. Many decades later, Mom and I had the wonderful pleasure of going on an Alaskan cruise with the Kingston Trio, the Limelighters, and many folk music fans. And the music sounded just the same; it was amazing. (The cruise ended on Sep 10th, 2001...there went the world I used to know.)

I've had a fairly peripatetic life. A good life, but one that lends itself to poignant nostalgia late at night. In one of those moods, it occurred to me that their music was just about the only constant, the only thread that stretched through all the years. They created the soundtrack for my life, in a way. So I dug around on the 'net, found their email address, and wrote them a letter telling them so, and thanking them. I got a personal reply from Bob (who was always my favorite Trio member).

So it's hell now to watch him years ago and see Bush...

1 Comments:

At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn there IS a resemblance

 

Post a Comment

<< Home